tab bar

FAITH FAMILY ADVENTURE SHORT ANSWERS

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cold Sheep in Our Bed

Somehow this winter has seemed a bit colder and a bit harder to endure for me. I've worn more fleece and warm socks around the house. I've lit (or rather turned on) the fire more often. I've huddled under more blankets. I've whined more.

Ever notice how during the winter the ambient air temperature may be tolerable, but objects in the room can be downright freezing? Like the bathroom's tile floor under your bare feet during your 2 a.m. potty run? Or like the diaper wipes you are about to use to clean your daughter (or yourself after your daughter's diaper has leaked on you)?

A week or so ago I was whining to my wife about this particular winter discomfort. I said something like, "Why is it that in winter even though the air is warm, things get cold, like the sheets in our bed--or the toilet seat?" (Both of those have been particularly troublesome cold items on cold nights...)

Lizzy, who was sitting nearby doing something else and not entirely paying attention to the conversation, overheard that comment--but she misheard it and found it very silly. Laughing, she asked, "Why did you say the sheep in your bed get cold on the toilet seat?"

We all laughed at the misunderstanding, and Lizzy took great delight in repeating it. Like the next morning when I was waking her up and getting her moving she said, "That was funny when I thought you said the sheep in your bed get cold on the toilet seat." And then she laughed again. And she laughed so hard that stuff came out her nose, which made it even more funny and which then became part of the requisite retelling of this funny event. Like a few days later when we had a book group gathering at our house and Lizzy felt compelled to tell one grandmotherly figure, without providing any explanation or context, that the other day she had said "the sheep in mommy and daddy's bed get cold on the toilet seat" and she had laughed so hard "that snot came out of my nose." And she laughed again.

Fortunately, this grandmother has had 7-year-old grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment