tab bar

FAITH FAMILY ADVENTURE SHORT ANSWERS

Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cool Gospel Study Idea

Just stumbled across this Web page and I thought it was a great family gospel study idea—worth sharing:

http://www.truelightacademy.com/sacred_art_appreciation.html

You could do this with poetry or music, too. Study a bunch of sacred music by Bach or Handel or whoever else for several weeks. Reminds me of when I attended performances of Bach's B-Minor Mass and one of his passions (St. Matthew or St. John, can't remember which I heard). Stunning pieces of music, several hours long. Inspiring, uplifting, moving.

Here's an article we did about a BYU class that performed those long sacred works. They would spend months preparing for the performances and they would perform in sacred buildings: Salt Lake's Cathedral of the Madeleine, the Provo Tabernacle. I don't think the class exists anymore, which makes me sad. I loved those performances. When Christine and I were dating we went to a performance of the Messiah by this class at a Catholic church in Park City. Powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment