tab bar

FAITH FAMILY ADVENTURE SHORT ANSWERS

Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, August 28, 2006

Speaking in Church

A year and a half ago, when my bishop invited me to speak in Church, he asked me to not write out my talk word for word. Rather, he wanted me to prepare carefully and thoroughly but to rely on inspiration to put together the actual words (and perhaps even organization) as I spoke.

I panicked.

I have long been a “write it out” sort of guy. I think better when I’m writing than when I’m talking. When writing, I have time to consider my word choice and organization and select the best presentation. I can revise and edit and revise again. In contrast, when I’m speaking extemporaneously—particularly in debates—I seldom express myself well; I can’t get my arguments together quickly or think of the right examples or put the words together well. I flail verbally and get frustrated.

As I considered my bishop’s counsel, I thought, “I can’t do that. I’ll fall apart. My words will be all jumbled and confused. I’ll say the wrong things. And besides, the Spirit can inspire me beforehand, can’t it?” But in the end, I decided to honor his request.

I have now (as of yesterday) had two opportunities to use this method in Church, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised. In both cases, I prepared abundantly, wrote some critical portions (partially just to get the words in my head), and had much of the talk in outline form. Parts of it were in a planned order, and others were just there to be used whenever and however I felt inspired to use them.

I’ve been pleased to find that I haven’t floundered as badly as I fear, and that the flow has been rather natural. Yesterday, I found myself only referring to my written notes (even the one story I had written out) a couple of times. The rest flowed freely from memory and inspiration. I skipped much of it, used some parts as planned, and used other parts a bit differently than planned.

Preparing and giving a talk this way causes me great anxiety; I would much rather write it all out and be certain of what I will say and when and how. But I have found much value in this way of speaking:

First, I feel like I am speaking more directly to the congregation. I’m not focused on the piece of paper in front of me; I’m not reading words and worried about losing my place. I’m communicating with people. I can look into their eyes and gauge their reaction and engage them in the discussion because my eyes aren’t otherwise occupied.

Second, I can fit the time allotment better. I’m not trying to get through my script and hoping it matches what time is left; I’m not bound to thinking about my topic in one specific presentation order. Rather, I have a bunch of material that I have prepared and studied well, and I can easily adjust my material to the time.

And third, I am more dependent on the Spirit to guide me. Because I don’t have everything planned exactly, I feel a bit more lost and uncertain. I’m more nervous and humble and more aware of my need to be inspired. Consequently, I think the Spirit is more present, and I am able to teach by the Spirit more—because I’m not teaching what I carefully planned but what I feel inspired to share.

There are, of course, drawbacks. Afterward, I stew over what I said and how I could have said it better. I feel bad about things left unsaid or things said the wrong way. And I’m sure the presentation isn’t as polished or smooth and the word choice isn’t as effective.

However, I think the Spirit is abundantly present, and I think that makes up for a lot of the weaknesses.

I have found myself thinking about a couple of scriptures as I have pondered this:

"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man" (D&C 84:85).

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

I have to say I can better testify of the truth of the principles taught in those verses now than I could before. Ideas and thoughts have flowed freely and easily as I have spoken, and it has been a marvelous experience for me.

Anyway, that’s a lot of rambling. I’m just grateful for an inspired bishop who challenged me to do something I wasn’t comfortable doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment